Getting Started

Aug 23, 2008 at 6:04 AM
I'm just getting started on a protocol handler, and this project so far is a great resource.  However, I'm having an issue gettting the initial install functioning.

First - I'm attempting to install MOSSPH into Microsoft Search Server 2008 Express.  Is this supported?

I've compiled the source, verified everything was registerd with COM Interop, added a string value to the registry under:

  HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office Server\12.0\Search\Setup\ProtocolHandlers
      MOSSPH = MOSSPH.ProtocolHandler

and then ran this command line to install the content source (from the CSInstall source):
  CSInstall.exe /i /siteName:http://wssdev /url:MOSSPH://wssdev /displayName:"My Content Source"

After this, the "My Content Source" does appear in the Content Sources, but when I attempt a full crawl, it terminates immediately, with no crawl log output.

Am I missing a step to getting this installed?


As for the intended use, I plan to connect to a database and index specific tables.  Does anyone have examples they would like to share?


Thanks
Sep 15, 2008 at 9:22 AM

I've got the exactly same problem.  The content source appears in the Content Sources, but crawl terminates immediately. I’m planning to crawl an external case/document system.

Does this PH support Microsoft Search Server 2008 (express)?

 
Regards,

Kurt

Sep 19, 2008 at 1:14 PM

Here are some checklist items you might want to look at. These are based on my own experience and might be wrong :)

  1. Have you added a crawl rule for your URI (e.g. include mossph://*)?
  2. Is your Office SharePoint Server Search service running with enough privileges? The protocol handler tries to create a performance counter in ProtocolHandler.cs. You may need to run your search service under a different account, at least to start with. Personally, I think the performance counter creation would be better done in the CSInstaller project.
  3. Try setting ExtExclusionsUsed to 0 in the registry if your content source won't be providing URIs that end with known file extensions, otherwise the gatherer will ignore your content. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb266527(VS.85).aspx.

You might find it useful to add a Thread.Sleep(20000) to the start of ProtocolHandler::Init(...) and add a breakpoint just after. That gives you time to start a full crawl and attach Visual Studio to mssdmn.exe so you can step through the initialisation.

Best of luck, and let us know how you get on.

Sep 22, 2008 at 5:19 PM
I had the same problem, but solved it by rebooting. Apparently, the registration wasn't picjed up until I rebooted.
Sep 23, 2008 at 7:21 PM
Just to followup - I did get this work okay.  It took a bit of twidling, but I believe the restart of the search service did the trick.

And just to be clear, this PH will work with Search Server Express.

All - Thanks the help!
Nov 10, 2008 at 7:19 AM
Edited Nov 10, 2008 at 7:20 AM
Posted in error...