Development Time to code and test a Protocol Handler?

Jul 24, 2008 at 3:43 AM
Does anyone have any guidelines on how long it takes to develop a protocol handler using this technique if you already have the custom pieces in place for crawling your custom content?  Are we talking hours, days, or weeks?  I'm just looking for a ballpark figure.

For those of you that have written one, just telling me how long it took you would be very useful.

Also, as was mentioned an a much older discussion item (but not answered), are there any gotchas or limitations with using this technique over one written entirely in COM?  I realize that managed code could run slightly slower, but outside of that is there anything like threading issues, etc. that you have run into?

Thanks in advance!
Kirk
Jul 25, 2008 at 7:38 PM

It probably took about 1 week for us to get something up running and seeing results using the faceted web part.  It was one of our higher skilled, experienced developers that is use to seeing and working from an established code base so that helped.  We were also indexing xml being returned from a web service, so depending on your content source, you might have more or different issues to worry about. 

The only possible limitation would be an issue we are having with multi-value properties and getting those indexed correctly.  From someone's response to our post, it looks like a custom IFilter might solve our problem, but right now we are probably just going to live with the workarounds available using the protocol handler.

Thanks,

Ed

Jul 30, 2008 at 10:10 PM
Thanks, Ed.  That gives me at least one datapoint to go on.  I may try to create a prototype shortly if I can find the time.  It would be against web services that I am already accustomed to calling.