SharePoint Indexer 64-bit

Mar 11, 2008 at 3:46 PM
Has anybody had success with installing the Protocol Handler in a 64-bit environment. When I attempt to crawl it returns an error message saying it can't find the handler.
Mar 13, 2008 at 1:59 AM
hi there,

i haven't but i have seen a similar error(or maybe similar) on a 32-bit environment as well. try to check that the ms search service runs under an user with local admin rights.

and also, please let us know if you succeeded or not.

cheers,
cipri
Mar 13, 2008 at 4:08 PM
Hi,

Well I've got it working but I need to rebuild in a clean environment to determine exactly which steps required.

I found that I needed to use the regasm from the 64 bit framework and I also registered the assembly in the GAC so the DLL could be found.

Needless to say, I have successfully run the protocol handler.

John
Apr 2, 2008 at 8:14 PM
Hi John,

I tried to install it on a 64-bit platform as well. From what I have seen it is much slower than on a 32-bit server. Don't know if this is because of our customization/hardware or maybe IFilters, but just wanted to ask you: have you notice and performance issues after you migrated on a 64-bit server?

Thanks,
Cipri
Apr 20, 2008 at 4:59 PM
Hi Cipri,

No I haven't noticed but I haven't had any metrics to compare to either. I've been testing the Protocol Handler with indexing simple text files which is fast. I suspect it would have to do with your IFilters (PDF is slow).

John
Jan 28, 2009 at 10:14 PM
Hi John,

Did you do anything extra to make the PH work for 64-bit MOSS? I installed mine on both 32-bit and  64-bit. Everything worked fine for 32, but for the 64-bit environment, SharePoint would only load the PH to crawl the initial starting address, but not for the subsequent children addresses.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!!!

Rita
Jan 29, 2009 at 4:55 AM
Hi Rita,

It's been awhile since I've worked with the PH and I haven't seen that behavior.

Have you installed the 64-bit IFilters?

John
Jan 29, 2009 at 2:06 PM
Hi John,

I am using the MOSS  C# PH in this sample. Since you mentioned you got this to work on 64bit moss, was wondering if you recall anything special you did when you built/deployed the solution. As I mentioned before, currently on 64bit moss, it only loads the PH for the initial starting address, but it is not traversing down the tree.

Thanks in advance!

Rita
Jan 29, 2009 at 6:15 PM
Hi Rita,

Nothing particularly special.  I had to compile the DLL to 64 bit and install 64-bit iFilters.  Sorry I can't be of much help.

John
Feb 12, 2009 at 4:49 PM
Hi Rita,

I am facing the same problem. If you ever found a solution, please update.

Thanks
Abhinav
May 15, 2009 at 3:00 PM
Edited May 15, 2009 at 4:42 PM

I tried to install this solution on a 64bit dev machine and it failed with the error that it couldn't find the protocol handler. After some digging around the net I found the solution in using the correct (64bit) regasm.

By default visual studio command prompt uses the version located at C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727. When using hte x64 version located at C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727 the error has gone away.